Cheltenham's Poetry Book group meets monthly at the Suffolk Anthology, an independent bookshop.
Each month, we discuss a single-author collection of contemporary poetry.
After each meeting, we publish a list of suggested discussion topics for others to use, whether as individual readers thinking about the book, or for their own book groups. We would like to encourage other poetry book groups and these materials are offered free of charge to anyone who wants to download them.
Please click below for downloads about the books we have discussed so far. Happy reading!
1. Denise Riley, Say Something Back (Picador, 2016)
2. Rebecca Watts, The Met Office Advises Caution (Carcarnet, 2016)
3. Caroline Smith, The Immigration Handbook (Seren, 2016)
4. Thomas McCarthy, Pandemonium (Carcarnet, 2016)
5. Wayne Holloway-Smith, Alarum (Bloodaxe, 2017)
6. Ocean Vuong, Night Sky with Exit Wounds (Cape, 2017)
7. Tara Bergin, The Tragic Death of Eleanor Marx (Carcarnet, 2017)
8. Michael Symmons Roberts, Mancunia (Cape, 2017)
9. Hera Lindsay Bird, Hera Lindsay Bird (Penguin, 2017)
10. Nick Makoha, Kingdom of Gravity (Peepal Tree, 2017)
11. Jane Commane, Assembly Lines (Carcanet, 2018)
12. Kaveh Akbar, Calling a Wolf a Wolf (Penguin, 2017)
Poetry Book Group is currently on hiatus over the summer, but will begin again in November 2018. If you are in the Cheltenham area and would like to participate, please contact The Suffolk Anthology.